An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a legal requirement to drive in many foreign countries, and it is a United Nations regulated travel document for your benefit and safety.
- IDPs entitle the holder to drive in all contracting countries other than his/her country of residence, without further examination, as long as they hold a valid domestic driving license.
- Contracting countries are those countries that have subscribed one or more of the UN International Conventions on Road Traffic.
- Check the IDP requirements of your destination before you travel.
- It is a requirement for renting a car in many countries. Failure to fulfill this requirement may constitute a criminal or civil offense and may have serious consequences.
- Driving without an IDP may trigger exclusion under your travel insurance policy if claiming for loss or damage caused while driving a motor vehicle abroad.