Information About International Driving Permits in Hong Kong:
How to Get an International Driving Permit in Hong Kong?
An International Driving Permit is a translation of your national driving license. The IDP allows motorists to drive vehicles in foreign countries. You must always have your IDP along with your national license at all times. To get an International Driving Permit in Hong Kong, visit the Hong Kong Automobile Association.
Hong Kong Automobile Association
Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders
Application for IDP in Hong Kong http
All visitors who plan to drive in Hong Kong must be driving on strength of their valid overseas driving licence or international driving permit (visitors mean that you arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months). Please obtain an IDP in your home country or country of residence before you travel.
Rules of the Road
- Vehicles drive on the left-hand side of the road.
- Vehicles have the steering wheel on the right-hand side.
- Overtake on the right unless there are traffic queues.
- Vehicles turning right must give way to oncoming traffic.
- Driver and passengers, front or back, must wear a seat belt.
- Speeds limits are strictly enforced in Hong Kong. Always check for signage in the area you are driving to ensure you know what the speed limit is.
- Motorcyclist must wear a helmet.
- Using a mobile cell phone is forbidden, drivers may use hands-free devices.
Emergency Rescue Service available 24/7, 365 days a year. FREE towing service ONE time only (excluding Lantau island, outlying islands, and restricted areas). Services are provided to members of clubs belonging to FIA upon presentation of your current, valid home club membership card. Conditions apply. Please call 9080-9843 for HKAA’s 24-Hour Emergency Rescue and Towing Service.