International Driving Permits (1926, 1943, 1949, 1968)
How to Get an International Driving Permit in Mexico?
An International Driving Permit is a translation of your national driving license. The IDP allows motorists to drive vehicles in foreign countries. You must always have your IDP along with your national license at all times. To get an International Driving Permit in Mexico. visit Mexico ANA or Mexico AMA.
In Mexico, the Traffic Regulation of any state designated to drive motor vehicles and motorcycles in the Mexican territory, requires a license or permit issued by the Mobility authorities of the entity of residence, or by any other of the Federation or abroad, according to the type of vehicle that the same indicated, identified from the place where the vehicle has been registered.
So any foreigner with a Driving License from their country and their valid passport can drive in Mexico as a tourist.
Citizens or residents of Mexico who wish to drive out of Mexico need to process a PIC (International Driving Permit) at ANA Automóvil Club A. C. to guarantee their driver’s license in another country.
ANA Automóvil Club A. C.
ANA Automobile Club is a Mobility Club representative of FIA in Mexico in its “Mobility” part, in charge of promoting quality road education to improve the mobility of Mexican society.
Through our offices we offer under the permission of the Secretary of Foreign Relations of the Government of Mexico and the FIA (Federation International Automobile) the expedition of International Driving Permit.
Link: Secretary of Foreign Relations.
What is the International Driving Permit?
The International Driving Permit is a document issued by ANA Automóvil Club A. C. in Mexico according to the norms established in the World Convention on Road Traffic agreed in Geneva on September 19, 1949, which authorizes to drive a vehicle in any country of the world that does not have a bilateral agreement with Mexico.
Why should you process your permit?
- Because it is the only way to authenticate the validity of your National Driving License in the countries of the World that they have assigned to the respective international conventions of automotive traffic established by the
- It is required in case the tourist is involved in traffic problems, whether they are infractions or accidents outside their country.
- Depending on the insurance company, it is required to cover vehicle damage in case of accidents outside your country.
- And it allows you to prove your tourist status without having to show your passport, this depends on the road transport authorities.
What is it for?
The object is to facilitate the international circulation of tourists in the contracting states, except for countries that have bilateral agreements with Mexico and in which you can drive with a valid Mexican Driver’s License as a tourist.
What requirements are needed?
- 2 photographs passport size.
- Mexican driver’s license with a remaining validity of 2 years or permanent.
- Valid passport.
- Proof of residence or residence in Mexico (Water Service, Electricity Service or Phone Service).
- Official Identification (IFE, INE, Professional ID, FM2 or FM3).
How long is it valid?
The International Driving Permit is valid for 2 years.
How long can I drive with this permit?
The International Driving Permit will allow you to drive in the
foreigner as a Tourist within a period not exceeding 90 days.
How long does the process last?
Where can I process it?
ANA Automóvil Club A. C.
San Francisco #1903, esq. Río Churubusco, Col. del Valle.
Col. Benito Juárez, C.P. 03100, CDMX. México.
You can also call any of our offices for more information, or send us an email to:
CDMX: +52 5524-8017 y al +52 5524 – 4227
To process the International Driving Permit remotely you must contact us by email at the following address: mailto:Info@anamx.cm